Just on Sunday 05th November, 2023, an accident along the Churchill Roosevelt highway in Arima left one man dead and a woman injured.
• The deceased has been identified as 25-year-old Kobe La Borde of Maloney Gardens, while the injured victim was only identified as a 23-year-old woman.
• Around 4:15am, La Borde was in his blue Toyota Corolla, in the company of the woman, when on nearing National Canners Limited, he lost control of the vehicle and collided with the median, before hitting a tree on the raised barrier.
• The car then overturned and flipped several times before coming to a complete stop on the right side of the westbound lane of the highway.
• Eyewitnesses notified the police and emergency health services who arrived at the scene and discovered La Borde dead and the corolla approximately 158 feet from the initial point of impact.
• The 23-year-old woman who was in the front passenger seat was taken to the Arima hospital where she was treated and listed in serious but stable condition.
A total of 89 persons died as a result of road traffic accidents for the year thus far.