Government has spent just over $131M to upgrade Skinner Park in San Fernando which was officially re-opened yesterday, just in time for upcoming carnival events.
• Prime Minister Dr. Keith Rowley expressed joy that the facility was finally open just in time for Calypso Fiesta, while speaking at the opening yesterday.
• The newly renovated Skinner Park will be able to accommodate 6,000 patrons, with 3,000 in the main stand and 1,500 in two bleachers.
• The amenities in the main bleacher include concession stands, facilities for home and away teams, meeting and conference rooms, and VIP boxes.
• The cycling track has been rebuilt and the football field was reoriented to a North-South position which meets the minimum FIFA standards. The Park was closed for repairs in 2019 and faced multiple construction setbacks caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
• The PM also said a major $1.6 billion transformation is coming for San Fernando which will make the city “unrecognisable” in the next four to five years.